1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

You're the GM: Geno Smith with 11th pick?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Fossil, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +291
    Hypothetical:
    If OTs Joekel, Fisher, and Johnson are gone and Geno Smith falls to 11, can anyone here make a case for drafting and keeping him as PR's heir apparent despite our other needs?
    We certainly have other holes to fill, but if he is indeed a possible future franchise quarterback, how do you pass him by?
    Odd are T2M2 have discussed the crap out of this scenario, what's your take?
    GenoSmith2.jpg

2. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    Not a chance in hell!!!!! Even if the Chargers had a huge need at QB, i wouldn't touch him or any QB in the 1st round this year. The goal needs to be to improve the team around Rivers, drafting another QB to sit behind him does nothing to improve the team

3. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Rivers is 31. He has demonstrated the capability of being a franchise QB. He has not experienced a skill regression. He needs an o-line that doesn't let pass-rushers run by them to be effective. He has at least 5+ years as a franchise QB left, possibly as many as 9 if he avoids injury behind an improved line. He has been starting since 2006, and so has 7 seasons of wear on his body, in spite of going into his 10th year in the league.

Geno Smith may be a franchise QB. If he is a franchise QB, he won't be very effective on a team that can't protect him at all whatsoever. Blowing the "cheap years" of a QB's rookie contract is madness. The best strategy for the future is to hope that we have a terrible record in a season when there are multiple quality QBs entering the draft, rather than "middling-below average" in a year where there are none.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +750
    If the Chargers select a QB in the first round, they better use a 2nd and a 3rd to trade back into the first and select a new GM and head coach.

I'd rather they take a TE with that pick or a kicker than to waste a first round pick on a QB when it isn't needed.

5. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +249
    Hell no lol. They'll have a hard enough time explaining the pick if it is anything other than the offensive line.

If worst case scenario the 3 OTs are gone at 11 and someone like Dion Jordan or Dee Milliner are there then that's one thing, but no chance in hell they could justify Geno in the 1st round.

6. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +343
    lol, I don't see Dion Jordan, or Milliner falling to 11 unless something comes out that makes them drop, otherwise I doubt it. That's about as likely as us drafting Geno Smith in the first round. hahahahaha!

But hey...Anything is possible.

7. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,019
    Simply put, he won't be. Geno Smith has a better chance of going #1 overall (and a significantly better chance of going in the Top 2) than he does of falling out of the Top 10 unless he gets arrested for something heinous between now and the draft.

The Cards have Palmer for them being (for some reason, I suppose it's Fitzgerald) in "win now" mode, but Steve Keim could still view Geno Smith as BPA based upon position premium at their pick. The furthest he falls is the Jets' pick, but really I doubt if he fell at all he falls past Buffalo (Kevin Kolb is little more than Matt Moore was last year for the Phins or Drew Stanton for the Colts... insurance) - Marrone is coming out of coaching in the Big East... where up until this past year (and even then because 'Cuse drew WVU in their bowl game) he coached against Geno Smith.

8. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +291
    Well put LBC, but if he did fall, could you make a case for drafting and keeping him? Or do you as GM completely cross that option off your list?

9. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +249
    I don't see them falling either, but then again, they're as likely as Geno is (which in this case is of course unlikely).

My point was more towards those 2 falling out of the top 10 but filling an area of need for us, while Geno falling to 11 wouldn't address a need for us, bottom line being if we can't go OL in the first then pass rush or secondary are the next logical targets.

10. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +750
    Anyone else miss when Eric Fisher was mocked o us and Lane Johnson was a trade back option. It's a shame no one on the defensive side was able to retain their value. :sick:

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,593
    There's still alot of high level talent there and if Smith goes in the top ten, all we would need is two teams to go defense (Arizona/Detroit) and the rest will take care of themselves.

12. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,582
    Those were the days, pre-senior bowl.:tup: Kinda like a few years ago when Von Miller was mocked to us at 18, then the senior bowl happened....and we had no shot.

If Eric Fisher somehow magically gets to 6, we need to pounce.

• Like Like x 1
  13. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +343
    Ya I remember those days. And I think when draft day rolls around you are going to be saying "Does anyone remember when Lane Johnson was mocked to us at 11, and we wouldn't have to trade up to get an him?" :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  14. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,582
    Well it took long enough, but it looks like Mayock finally raised Fisher over Joeckel... 3 months after me.

15. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +750
    Not going to give you the Red X but just know I dislike this, not for what you wrote but the situation overall.

16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    He wouldn't even be on my list if he was available at #11 in round 2

• Like Like x 1
  17. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,582

....oh I want to apologize to the OP for this off topic comment, I hadn't realized this was a serious thread.:coffee:

Um, No.

18. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,019
    He's not a BPA to us - his value is tied to his position (and the truth that if you don't have a franchise QB you can build around - and until Rivers irrefutably proves otherwise, we do - you shouldn't pass on the opportunity to draft one) and his position is less value to us because of need. Like I said "BPA" is very rarely strictly the "best overall quality player available" but rather the best player that fits a particular team (though "fit" is used in a broader sense than what many fans want to think it is).

Thing is, if Geno's there and say the reason why Lane Johnson isn't is because Miami jumped us, trading up with for instance Cleveland, Buffalo, or the Jets, then we have one of those three QB needy teams picking immediately after us which gives us a fair bit of leverage to be able to potentially get Tampa to bite (Freeman's going into a contract year, Schiano coached against Geno in the Big East for several years, and Freeman hasn't proven squat really), or for Jacksonville, Arizona, or Buffalo (whichever two of which hadn't traded back) to mortgage the farm to us in order to get back into the first and get Geno.

It's a little "uninspiring" to trade the highest pick we've had since we owned the #1 overall and end up where the soonest we'd be picking an actual player would be the very top of the 2nd unless we traded back into the 1st, but the kind of value that would have to be kicked our way to make that kind of a jump (it would likely cost the Jags alone a 2014 1st on top of their 2nd - first pick of the round - and 3rd this year) to make the move from #33 to #11 would go A LONG way in terms of a rebuild.