1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

You're The GM

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Bolts4lyfe, Mar 20, 2013.

?

Make a case for these players

1. OT Lane Johnson

85.7%
  2. OLB Jarvis Jones

7.1%
  3. DT Star Lotulelei

7.1%
  1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,610
    This is revisionist history. He moved up after the senior bowl to a top 20 pick, there is no way he'd have gotten past the Bears. Then the combine happened and that put him into the top 10 range. Then you calculate the drop off between him and Armstead...and you have a guy that teams will reach on, hence the predictions that he could go as high as 5-7 range.

Lewan sucks, he would not have gone before Johnson I almost guarantee it.
    Matthews played RT at A&M.

2. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    Again who's to say even if Lewan or Mathews came out this year that at this point Johnson wouldn't be ahead of both of them? The same was considered for Fisher, I remember when there was talk about Fisher being a reach at 11, Now he could go number 1 overall.

I remember when the top 10 were filled with "can't miss" pass rushers Damontre Moore, Jarvis Jones, Bjoren Werner Etc. not saying that any of them won't be great in the NFL but at the same time there are many flaws in each of their game that you can pick apart as well. I remember when Star was the top of the food chain and nobody knew much about Sharrif Floyd, now it appears to be a foregone conclusion that Floyd is the better prospect.

Obviously, you can only take what the TV analyst say "with a grain of salt" because they tend to sell the products. But at this point you'd think you'd hear one or 2 people say "Johnson isn't the real deal" or something in that perspective, instead every single one of them are suggesting even at 11 if you want him you may need to trade up to get him. I remember last year they tore "workout warrior" Dontarie Poe apart, Not a single person said his work out matches his tape, Which isn't the case for Johnson.

The fact that no OL coaches were present for Johnson's pro day was a bit of a mystery, but you'd also think the case for that would be the opposite if there were in fact more question marks. Maybe he sold it on his Senior Bowl, and Combine. Even if you look at Joeckel and Fisher, The o line coaches for their work outs were coaches that were more likely to take them. Maybe no coaches wanted to give away "the best kept secret"

3. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    Plus if anything I assume (or at least hope) they're sitting there looking at their draft board with Johnson sitting at the top, thinking "we sit at 11 and take Johnson, worst case scenario he's not there, then we resort to plan B and either trade back or take the next guy on their list" because if they're sitting there saying "hey lets trade back right now to get an extra pick so we can get Terron Armstead at 45 because he's just as good as Johnson" he should be fired Immediately!!!!!

And if Armstead is drafted anywhere before 45, that my friend is a way bigger reach than Johnson anywhere in the top 10

Also Im not so scared of these rumors about Miami trading up to take Johnson. They, like us, have shown a lot of interest in Eric Winston. That tells me that they're still looking at moving Martin over to LT. I also think if they didn't want to do that, seeing how they stil have a boat load of money would have gone all in for Long.

4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,610
    I'd take Johnson over both. He's the only one of the 3 that played LT last year that is worth a damn.

Of course I made my call on Eric Fisher months ago, but if he were to fall past 5 I would offer Cleveland a couple picks to move up to 6. This draft is tailor made for teams to trade up without giving up a kings ransom.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    I'll even go one step further on my one post, Unless you're the number 1 pick and can set the tone of the draft, any teams GM going into the draft with the mind set of automatically wanting to trade back before there pick is on the clock, should be fired on the spot. No one knows how the draft will set itself. For all we know Eric Fisher could be there at 11

6. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
  7. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
  8. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    That's where there's a handful of teams in the top-10 already making calls to trade out. Don't see these teams firing there GM's..

9. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    That handful of team are making calls fielding interest, Saying "hey you wanna move up, tell me what you'll give me" is a big difference than to what you said

Even if that being the case, perfect example of what Telesco talked about when they were drafting Bob Sanders, when it was there turn to pick they got an offer to trade back, knowing they could probably still get Sanders they did it while acquiring a pick in the process.

So lets say the board is shifting one way and you have your sights on Cooper, You know the next 4 teams aren't going to take him so then you trade back and take your guy.

10. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    Yeah, of course. You have to talk to those other teams in the process as well to ensure they won't take a player you have your sights set on. At least, I'd hope so, and if we do that, we probably already have a handful of players picked out on draft day who we think will be around come 11. I think last year, Norv and AJ didn't even have Melvin Ingram as one of those players, but when he fell in their laps they said it was a no brainer to take him.

Either way, I believe McCoy and Telesco will make the best out of this draft. If they can trade back in any round to gain more picks I'm all for it, because there is a lot of depth in this draft, and also blue-chip type players, if put in the right environment and coached well, they could be solid starters.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    Based just off of Mock drafts, there seems to be plenty of good players in every round, hopefully we can capitalize on that.

• Agree Agree x 1