1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Zach Mettenberger Released by Titans

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Chaincrusher, May 16, 2016.

1. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    I just read that Zach Mettenberger was released by the Titans.

I have zero idea what the Titans are thinking with that move. At worst, Mettenberger, who is just 24, has the potential to be a very strong reserve QB. Before the news of his back condition surfaced, he was being discussed as a potential first round draft pick just two years ago.

While I think we don't need to carry three QBs, I see Mettenberger's ceiling as being higher than Clemens' ceiling.

Since it isn't as if we are hoarding quality depth all over the roster, Mettenberger would easily be one of our best 53 players, so I like the idea of us adding him as the ultimate replacement for Clemens, who is a UFA after this year.

What do you guys think about Mettenberger as a potential Charger?

2. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +501
    If he has anything... no doubt Whiz will be shouting his case. I'd like to see it happen and have him understudy Rivers.

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    I would've grabbed him a minute after he's released. he's a big upgrade over Clemens and actually could be a viable replacement for Rivers long term.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Montrose

Montrose BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +223
    Interesting point.

And just out of interest, what or who do you think is responsible for this?

:whistling:

5. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    Yeah, me too (until I saw who started this thread :D )

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. Slam

Slam BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +137
    I doubt they will make this move, theyre all in on instant impact and potentially getting this stadium done.

3rd string QB doesnt help that one bit

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    I agree. Move him to backup QB and it works nicely

8. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +242
    Absolutely, I'm all for it. And if Cleveland for some reason grabbed him ahead of us, I'd take Austin Davis or Mettenberger, whoever gets cut in pre season (I'm assuming RGIII and Kessler are locks). I think both guys are better or at least have more upside than Clemens or Bercovici

9. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    So building quality depth is not a priority?!

Mettenberger is better than Renner and Bercovici right now and might be better than Clemens right now as well. And even if he is not better than Clemens right now, his ceiling appears to be higher than Clemens' ceiling.

As I said before, Mettenberger's floor appears to be that of a quality reserve QB. I don't know if he could ever take over for Rivers as the #1 QB when Rivers hangs 'em up, but it isn't clear that he lacks the ability to develop into a solid NFL starter.

The only reason why Mettenberger fell to round 6 was because of a medical issue in his back. He has some legitimate ability.

Where is the down side of signing Mettenberger and cutting Bercovici or Renner?

10. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    Assembling quality talent is job #1 of the GM.

We have lots of holes where players like Dzubnar, Tourek Williams and even Chris Watt stand a chance of making the roster. What I am saying is that I would be willing to sacrifice crappy depth that is no better than street FA level anyway (the caliber of which we could get anywhere/anytime) so that we can get a better player with some upside like Mettenberger.

11. Hgrove99

Hgrove99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
  12. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Obviously, Crusher has major pull with Telesco these days. ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    good pickup, looking forward to seeing what he can do (in the preseason obviously)

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Renner got the boot.

15. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Guess this makes Telesco a good GM since he finally listened to Chaincrusher..

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Solid pick up

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    Like this move. Low cost flier to see if he has any long term potential, and at worst he's a reasonable backup QB. Reunites him with Wiz also.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,152
    Notice you never see them in the same room?
    CC may be Telesco...

Mmmmmm...MettenBURGER .png

Last edited: May 17, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Slam

Slam BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +137
    CC is Telesco self-loathing second personality... I think you're onto something Lance...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    I wouldn't exactly say that Telesco "finally listened to me". I specifically called for Telesco to draft Attaochu and Joshua Perry before those picks happened.

21. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,413
    Chaincrusher called for this the second he was released?

Crap, I don't know if I like this news anymore.

• Funny Funny x 2
  22. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Since we're patting ourselves on the back for calling shots, I'll leave this here

This was in the "Mock Draft" thread

I'd even be for sending a 6th to the Titans for Mettenberger, at least you know he'll make the team for a year at least
    Bolts4lyfe, Apr 1, 2016

23. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    I don't think anyone is patting themselves on the back here.

I raised the possibility of upgrading our group of QBs by adding Mettenberger, who the Titans inexplicably released as an undeveloped 24-year-old player that at one point was considered a potential first round draft pick.

When we added him, another poster made a post that suggested that this was the first time Telesco ever did anything with which I agreed.

But the reality is that Telesco makes moves that I agree with with some regularity, including drafting players that I specifically called for us to draft. With so many players out there, the fact he has hit on a couple of the ones I have suggested pre-draft as potential draft prospects after round 1 is a pretty happy hit rate for me.

I mentioned those not to claim any sort of credit fro those suggestions, but rather to point out that Telesco and I do see some things the same way from time time.

The big issue that I have with Telesco is not that he doesn't make good moves, but rather it is that he also makes too many WTF! mistakes that make him look like he is as smart as a sack of cement. These are transactions that I would characterize as being so obviously idiotic on their face at the time they were made that you must immediately wonder how any competent GM could make such a blunder.

In this case, I am glad that we didn't have to use one of our 6th round picks to get Mettenberger (as suggested by your early April post) even though I doubt D. Watt will make the final 53.

Still, it was a good call by you to raise Mettenberger as a potential player for us back in April.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  24. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Damn, he may be the next Tom Brady for all we know, what a stealth top secrete move by Telesco. And here, we've been led to believe that TT would hardly make a good Jr grade janitor. :cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. Chico Andy

Chico Andy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11

I just challenged you a bit on another thread about Bosa. I haven't been to this site in a long time and got the impression that you are perceived as a troll. Sorry, that was my first impression. Now I will give you props on this one. Mettenberger seems like a low risk, possible high reward signing to me.
    Having a crappy season last year is paying off by being at the front of the line on waiver wire claims. Who knows, maybe there will be another 1 or 2 more decent players that get waived that we will be able to sign. Better roster, plus 4th place schedule= increased optimism for next year.

26. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,413
    You should trust your gut instincts a little more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    Yes, I am optimistic that we will be better than 4-12. Unfortunately, there's a lot of room between 4-12 and being a playoff team. That's the part that concerns me.

By the way, Chico Andy, are you in Chico? If so, how is Peregrine Point these days?

28. The Hammer

The Hammer BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Hey guys, Titans fan here.

I hate to break it to you but Zach "Mett" Mettenberger is horrible. I understand some draft pundits somewhere at some time said he might be a first round pick. However, he has looked like a sixth round QB.

A lot of us were memorized by his strong suits: big guy, big arm, brave in the pocket, appears confident. The negatives though are too much.

Mostly it comes from the fact that he is way too slow reading defenses which leads to:
    • Not being able to anticipate open recovers
    • Missing open receivers
    • Holding the ball too long
    • Rushing throws which leads to overthrowing and poor touch on passes
    The guy was 0-10 as a starter. I know, I know, he played for the worst tteam in the league the last two years. It is not just the record though, he legitimately looked horrible.

Marcus Mariota looked immensely better as a rookie coming from a spread offense than Mett did in his second year coming from a pro style offense with an NFL OC.

Mett did not look that special in college either. Which is worrisome when you consider the immense talent he was surrounded with. Including Odell Beckham.

Do not make the same mistake we did and get your hopes up with Mett.

29. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    The difference here, is that he's competing for a backup position, not the starter position. He just has to be better than Clemens, which isn't exactly an impossibility. ;)

30. The Hammer

The Hammer BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    He was never competing for a starting position. He kinda ended up as starter by default for a bit his first year.

And I seriously doubt he is better than Clemens.

In Tennessee he was going to be competing with Trick Shot Alex Tanney, of all people, for third string.