1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Zito+Boras=New Giants $$$ deal

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by rexy2006, Dec 28, 2006.

1. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Zito cuts 7-year deal with Giants
    December 28, 2006
    Associated Press

SAN FRANCISCO -- The Bay Area's other Barry is the new face of the San Francisco Giants -- now and well into the future.
    Barry Zito and the Giants reached a preliminary agreement on the largest pitcher contract in baseball history, a seven-year, $126 million deal. Zito joins the Giants three weeks after the club came to terms on a one-year, $16 million contract with slugger Barry Bonds for a 15th season.
    Although there was no immediate confirmation from the Giants, details of Zito's contract were provided Thursday to The Associated Press by two persons familiar with the negotiations who spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal wasn't announced by the team.
    Zito's agreement, reached late Wednesday night, includes an $18 million option for 2014 with a $7 million buyout that could increase the value to $137 million. The option would become guaranteed if Zito pitches 200 innings in 2013, 400 combined over 2012 and 2013 or 600 combined from 2011-13. Zito also has a full no-trade clause.
    Zito is scheduled to have a physical Friday, and the Giants planned to announce their agreement with the three-time All-Star later in the day. His decision to sign with the Giants first was reported on MLB.com.
    Zito's deal ties for the sixth largest overall, matching the seven-year, $126 million extension agreed to this month by the Toronto Blue Jays and center fielder Vernon Wells. . The Giants, who have missed the playoffs the past three seasons, were looking for someone to fill the void left when ace Jason Schmidt departed earlier this month for the rival Los Angeles Dodgers.
    "A lot of money," said Mark Ellis, Zito's former A's teammate. "I was shocked. That's great for him. That's a good place for him. There couldn't be a better fit I don't think. Obviously we wanted him in Oakland."
    Giants general manager Brian Sabean had said the team had money to spend for a top pitcher, thanks in part to slugger Barry Bonds agreeing to defer some of the money from his new one-year, $16 million contract. Sabean never said how much the Giants had available.
    The Giants' top brass -- including owner Peter Magowan, executive vice president Larry Baer, Sabean and new manager Bruce Bochy -- had a long dinner with Zito and his agent, Scott Boras, at the posh Peninsula hotel in Beverly Hills on Nov. 26. The sides hit it off.
    Previously, the largest contract for a pitcher was Mike Hampton's $121 million, eight-year deal with the Colorado Rockies before the 2001 season.
    Texas, Seattle and the New York Mets also pursued Zito, the top available pitcher on the free-agent market. A 28-year-old lefthander, Zito spent the past seven seasons across San Francisco Bay pitching with the Oakland Athletics, and staying in the area appeared to be a factor in his decision.

Baseball contracts worth $100 million or more. Figures were obtained by The Associated Press from player and management sources and include all guaranteed income but not income from potential incentive bonuses. There is no distinction for money deferred without interest:
    Player, team Years Total
    Alex Rodriguez, Rangers-Yankees 2001-10 $252 million
    Derek Jeter, Yankees 2001-10 $189 million
    Manny Ramirez, Red Sox 2001-08 $160 million
    Todd Helton, Rockies 2003-11 $141.5 million
    Alfonso Soriano, Cubs 2007-14 $136 million
    Vernon Wells, Blue Jays 2008-14 $126 million
    Barry Zito, Giants 2007-13 $126 million
    Mike Hampton, Rockies-Braves 2001-08 $121 million
    Jason Giambi, Yankees 2002-08 $120 million
    Carlos Beltran, Mets 2005-11 $119 million
    Ken Griffey Jr., Reds 2000-08 $116.5 million
    Kevin Brown, Dodgers-Yankees 1999-05 $105 million
    Albert Pujols, Cardinals 2004-10 $100 million
    Carlos Lee, Astros 2007-12 $100 million

"We gave it our best shot," Rangers owner Tom Hicks said in an e-mail to the AP. "He's a great pitcher and a fine young man. I wish him well and am glad he's out of the AL West."
    Zito has been among the most durable pitchers in the majors, making 34 or more starts and throwing 210 or more innings in six consecutive seasons.
    He was 16-10 with a 3.83 ERA last season and has a 102-63 career record with a 3.55 ERA. Zito won the 2002 AL Cy Young Award after going 23-5.
    "He's so young still and he's so durable," Ellis said. "If I was a team going to give money to someone, it would be to him. I don't see anything wrong with Barry getting that much. Give money to someone who's going to go out there every fifth day."
    Zito will lead a rotation also featuring Matt Cain, coming off an impressive rookie season, lefty Noah Lowry and Matt Morris. There are several candidates for the fifth rotation spot.
    "It takes a lot of pressure off two people, which I think is very important," Giants first baseman and outfielder Mark Sweeney said. "Matt Cain is one of them. Taking Jason Schmidt's spot is asking a lot. I think that would be pushing it a little bit, even though he's going to be our No. 1 for years and I think the world of him. And also Matt Morris, who is going to bounce back. He put a lot on his shoulders.
    "I think it does a lot of that. It adds to the flexibility of our staff, too. Having Noah Lowry third or fourth is pretty good."
    As part of his agreement with the Giants, Zito will fund the construction of youth fields in the San Francisco area through his foundation.
    Only Alex Rodriguez ($252 million), Derek Jeter ($189 million), Manny Ramirez ($160 million), Todd Helton ($141.5 million) and Alfonso Soriano ($136 million) have contracts with more guaranteed money.
    Zito's is the 14th $100 million deal in baseball history and the fourth of the offseason following agreements by Soriano (Cubs), Wells and Carlos Lee ($100 million with Houston).
    The Mets' initial offer was for about $75 million over five years, and they were prepared to go somewhat higher in average salary but were wary of offering a longer deal. Texas had told Boras that it would withdraw its proposal if it wasn't accepted by the end of the week.
    Mets general manager Omar Minaya spoke late last week to Boras, who told the GM that Zito had a seven-year deal on the table from another team. "We were not willing to go to the seven-year areas he said he had," said Minaya, who conducted studies on the performances of pitchers with lengthy deals. "This is one guy who has been healthy, and we all wish him well. At the end of the day, the history ... I could not recommend to my ownership to go to seven guarantee years."

• Like Like x 1
  2. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    The Giants are idiots. He's a good pitcher and great person but no way is he worth that kind of money. Obviously I hate this but at least he won't be in the AL. Honestly after the A's announced their new stadium I think the Giants were looking for anything to try and throw back in their face (there is a fierce organizational rivalry in the Bay Area between the two teams). That and the A's are by far the most successful baseball team in the region and the Giants hate that as well. I love Zito and I knew he was going to get paid but this is insane IMO. At least we get a 1st round comp pick for this. All of that said this definitely changes the Giants forecast for the upcoming season for the better.

Thanks for the seven years Barry. :tup:

Giants can eat a dik and we'll still kick their ***. :lol: :yes:

3. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: That is a whole lot of $$$$$$$$$$ to pay Zito. :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek:

He better be worth all that cash that the Giants have payed out.

:icon_eek: I am shocked about the amount. 7 years $126 million. That is in my opinion way to much to pay Zito.:icon_eek:

4. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    Thats the Giants specialty, signing Players who are on Steriods

5. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Sorry man but there's no way Zito is a juicer :no:

6. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member